At Farcet C of E Primary School we believe that design and technology is an inspiring and practical subject. Our curriculum is designed to ensure that all pupils:
- Problem solve creatively whilst working as individuals and members of a team.
- Use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own (and others’) needs, wants and values.
- Link work, whenever possible, to other subjects including mathematics, science, computing and art.
- Reflect upon, and evaluate, past and present designs and technology identifying uses and effectiveness.
- Are encouraged to become innovators and risk takers.
- Know about great designers and understand the historical and cultural significance of their work.
As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of design and technology.
We aim to make sure the subject matter is broad and includes culturally and ethnically diverse topics and designers. This is because our children need to understand that technology is designed, and made, by all sorts of people. They should also know how design reflects and shapes our history, and contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation. It is paramount that design and technology work be purposeful and relevant to the children.
During design and technology lessons, children are expected to be reflective and evaluate their work, thinking about how they can make changes and keep improving. This should be meaningful and continuous throughout the process, with evidence of age-related verbal and written refection. Children are encouraged to take risks and experiment before reflecting on why some ideas are more successful than others for a particular project.
We value reading as a fundamental life skill and are dedicated to enabling our pupils to become lifelong readers. We recognise that reading is essential for academic success and the key to accessing knowledge across the curriculum. Therefore reading is given a high priority within design and technology.
Our design and technology curriculum is high quality, knowledge-based, well-sequenced and is planned to demonstrate progression. If our pupils have understood and retained knowledge from the carefully sequenced curriculum we have taught, we know that they are where they should be.
At Farcet C of E Primary School we ensure that children are equipped with DT skills and knowledge that will enable them to be ready for the curriculum at Key Stage 3 and for life as an adult in the wider world.
We want the children to have thoroughly enjoyed learning about design technology, therefore encouraging them to undertake new life experiences now and in the future.