Modern Foreign Languages
At Farcet C of E Primary School we believe that the ability to speak another language is a valuable educational, social and cultural experience and that all children in Key Stage 2 should be given the opportunity to participate in this inspiring subject.
Our curriculum is designed to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop an interest in learning other languages by delivering enjoyable and stimulating lessons
- Are curious about learning another language and confident when doing so
- Have a broader perspective of the world and are aware of cultural differences in other countries
- Embed the skills of listening, speaking, reading, writing and phonics
- Lay the foundations for their future language learning, including learning grammatical knowledge that will enable them to succeed at secondary school.
We value reading as a fundamental life skill and are dedicated to enabling our pupils to become lifelong readers. We recognise that reading is essential for academic success and the key to accessing knowledge across the curriculum. Therefore reading is given a high priority within MFL.
Teachers plan using the ‘La Jolie Ronde’ scheme, alongside the Rachel Hawkes scheme, in the following ways:
- Using a medium term plan which outlines the knowledge all children must master during the half term.
- Using a cycle of lessons for French, which carefully develop children’s skills in language through regularly taught lessons.
- Children progressively acquire, and use, a growing bank of key vocabulary based around topics. Grammar, phonics and vocabulary are regularly revisited in order to embed new concepts.
- Children develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing and games. As their confidence grows, the children will record their work in pictures, captions and sentences.
- Visiting experts who will enhance the learning experience whenever possible.
- A means to display and celebrate the pupils’ work in their class or around school
Our Modern Foreign Language curriculum is high quality, knowledge-based, well-sequenced and is planned to demonstrate progression. If our pupils have understood and retained knowledge from the carefully sequenced curriculum we have taught, we know that they are where they should be.
At Farcet C of E Primary School we ensure that children are equipped with the language skills and knowledge that will enable them to be ready for the curriculum at Key Stage 3 and for life as an adult in the wider world.
We want the children to have thoroughly enjoyed learning about different languages, therefore encouraging them to undertake new life experiences now and in the future.